Heavy-duty diesel trucks such as Kenworth, Freightliner, Peterbilt and Volvo have large engine capacities and loads of tractive force. Which vehicle, however, has the most incredible power? We've compiled a list of the 8 most robust trucks and tractor units globally. If you look forward to purchasing a heavy-duty truck in the near future, you should go through this list. Then you will be able to get the best available options for purchase in the market.
Kenworth consistently produces a top-of-the-line truck that combines luxury and quality with unparalleled dependability. Its classic exterior and contemporary interior are complemented by the powerful 12.9-liter PACCAR MX-13 engine, which generates a robust 565 horsepower, making it easy to transport heavy loads.
Freightliner New Cascadia
Arguably the most advanced highway truck that Freightliner has ever produced. Its advanced aerodynamics and Detroit Integrated Powertrain system, which includes the most fuel-efficient DD15 and DD13 engines and the technologically advanced DT12 On-Highway Series transmissions, work together to maximize fuel efficiency and bottom-line results.
Well-known and relied upon across North America, the Peterbilt 389 is a powerful and reliable truck that is designed for optimal performance. Its integrated PACCAR Powertrain features industry-leading designs and advanced systems integrations, producing a proud 590 horsepower from 14.9 liters of diesel.
Mercedes Actros 1863
A shining star in the trucking industry, equipped with Mercedes’ most powerful engine version of the new in-line six-cylinder diesel engines, the OM 473 with 15.6-liter displacement and 625 hp / 3000 Nm, providing a performance boost of 45 hp and 300 Nm.
International LT Series
The International LT series is known for its fuel efficiency and lightweight design, which saves both time and money while providing a comfortable ride. The LT Series boasts the Cummins X15 engine, which has HP ratings of up to 500 HP in the efficiency series and up to 565 HP in the performance series.
Volvo VNL 860
This dependable and powerful hauling truck comes standard with the Volvo D13 engine, generating between 375 and 500 horsepower and between 1,450 and 1,850 lb-ft of torque. This engine offers a great balance of fuel economy and power. However, for those who need to pull heavy loads, the available Cummins X15 engine offers 400 to 565 horsepower and 1,450 to 1,850 lb-ft of torque.
The 122SD from Freightliner is the ultimate work truck, designed to be powerful, rugged, and versatile. It can easily haul anything from construction supplies, and commodities to heavy equipment, even in severe conditions over harsh terrains. The 122SD offers 450 to 600HP and up to 2050 lb-ft of torque @ 1100 RPM.
Suitable for long-haul journeys, construction, and heavy-duty transport it’s no surprise that the versatile Volvo FH16 rounds out our list. Its D16 engine range, available in Euro 6 and Euro 5 versions, offers 550 hp to 700 hp and up to 3150 Nm of pure torque.
How to choose the best from the list?
With knowledge of 8 of the top heavy-duty diesel trucks on the market, selecting the best option for your needs can be a daunting task. To assist you in this process, we provide some helpful tips for finding the perfect truck. Take the time to thoroughly evaluate your specific requirements for a heavy-duty truck before making a decision.
Which specifications are ideal for a heavy-duty truck?
- Engine: A heavy-duty truck should have a powerful engine that can handle heavy loads and long hauls.
- Transmission: Look for a truck that has a robust transmission that can handle the high torque and power of the engine.
- Suspension: Air suspension systems are generally preferred as they provide a smooth ride and allow for adjustments to the load.
- Brakes: A heavy-duty truck should have powerful brakes that can handle the weight of the truck and its load.
- Payload and towing capacity: A heavy-duty truck should have a high payload and towing capacity that can handle large loads without risking fuel efficiency and performance.
- Fuel efficiency: Good fuel efficiency helps to reduce operating costs.
- Safety features: A heavy-duty truck should have advanced safety features such as anti-lock brakes, stability control, and lane departure warning to ensure the safety of the driver and other road users.
- Durability: A heavy-duty truck should be built to last and be able to withstand the rigors of the trucking industry. This can be achieved through the use of high-quality materials and robust construction.
- Modern technology: A heavy-duty truck should have advanced technology such as GPS navigation, telematics systems, and advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS) to improve efficiency, safety, and driver comfort
- Driver comfort: A heavy-duty truck should have comfortable and ergonomic cabins with features such as air conditioning, heat, power windows, seats, and a stereo system to make the driver's long hours on the road more comfortable. It should also have features like cruise control and lane departure warning to make the drive more comfortable and safe.
Heavy-duty diesel trucks are essential for many industries, and they come in different models and brands. The above list is only a sample of the variations available in today’s market. By going through our list you will be able to make an informed decision when purchasing a heavy-duty truck. With so many options available, it's important to do your research and choose the best one for your needs.